Paddle Steamer on the Thames

5 July 2003

A repeat of our trip on the paddle steamer Kingswear Castle of two years ago.


From our starting point at City Pier, interesting reflections across the water 


The Custom House. The broad quay in front of it that was for a long time almost the only riverside walk in London open to the public. Five earlier buildings on the site were destroyed by fire, and the present structure was erected in 1814-17, the fine fašade being designed by Sir R. Smirke.


As we get underway on this rather dull evening, we pass HMS Belfast as we make our way to Tower Bridge

See a video of our journey through Tower Bridge:

Medium connection (100k) | Fast connection (384k)
(Play will start automatically once video buffering is complete: please be patient!)


A ventilation shaft for the Blackwall Tunnel emerges through the roof of the Millennium Dome.


At the Thames Barrier, one of the barriers is lifted out of the water for maintenance or inspection


The Trinity House experimental lighthouse at Trinity Buoy Wharf is located at the junctions of the Rivers Lea and Thames. The site was used for testing new technologies for lighthouses and buoys. It was sold by Trinity House to the London Docklands Development Corporation in 1988.


Lucy watches the Kingswear Castle's engine


Watching London go by


Canada Tower, though gradually being hemmed in by other skyscrapers remains pre-eminent


Columbia Wharf, part of the Surrey Docks redevelopment


Leaving modern Docklands behind


Approaching Tower Bridge again


And the Custom House by night
 
 

 

Back Up Next

Unless otherwise stated, all images copyright (c) Stephen and Lucy Dawson