Leighton Buzzard Railway
16 April 2006
On the afternoon of Easter Sunday, we made a visit to the Leighton Buzzard
Railway. Our locomotive for the 1450 departure to Stonehenge Works is 0-6-0T
Henry and "Doll". Dating from 1919, the locomotive was built for the ironstone
quarries at Sydenham in Oxfordshire.
"Doll" runs round to couple up to our carriages. After 1925 when the Sydenham
quarries closed, "Doll" worked at Bilston steelworks near Wolverhampton until
1959, and has been at Leighton Buzzard since 1969.
Doll ready to depart for Stonehenge Works
The line has seen a lot of residential development around it, and on several
level crossings, we are flagged across. On others, there is just a lot of
Lucy and Henry safely arrived at Stonehenge Works
Henry in control!
On the return journey, travelling parallel to the road
Crossing a level crossing again, with two flagmen seeing us safely across
Passing the 1540 from Page's Park, hauled by No. 740, which was built for the
Matheran Light Railway in Maharastra, India.
Although the line now runs through a lot of housing, it was a very enjoyable
ride, and well worth a visit.