New River - St Margarets to Broxbourne
26 August 2007
After a morning doing various bits and pieces, a shortish afternoon walk was in
order, and Henry and Stephen continued on from
their walk three weeks ago
with another walk south along the New River.
After a train journey north to St Margarets, we reach the New River on a
Henry, king of the castle
Rye Common pumping station, built in 1883.
It was the first of the New River pumping stations to be converted from steam to
electric power, in 1935.
Underneath the A414, we took a small short cut to regain the east bank of the
A New River bench. Although some fuss has been made by Thames Water about the
opening of the New River Path in 1992, which no doubt brought about some
improvements, there is evidence wherever one looks on these more northern
stretches that it has been widely used by the public for a lot longer.
Approaching Rye House power station, a combined-cycle gas turbine station
producing 750MW for ScottishPower ,
opened in 1993 on the site of a coal -fired power station.
A train heading north towards Hertford East.
A family of swans
Hoddesdon Pumping Station, opened in 1886.
A look back as we approach Broxbourne
Total 5.89km (including station link) - 5.3 km on the New River Path; effectively flat, in 1 hour 26 mins (including 10 mins stopped).
The New River Path continues towards
Turkey Brook in Enfield...